Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A to Z - H (2014)

I'm doing the A to Z Blogging Challenge this year. The basic idea is to blog nearly daily with each day representing a different letter of the alphabet. My entries will be short and book-related.  


H is for...

Hope!

While I can get by without a happily ever after, or happy for now, ending, I always need some hope. Give me an uplifting ending, one that ends on a positive rather than on crushing defeat, depression or death. Don't make me think the characters have no chance at survival, at happiness, at resolving their issues in the future. Give them hope! 

This is part of my problem with 'literary,' serious or any novel that's more about the journey than the destination. I want both to be good. I don't want to shut the book and be crying sad tears, to feel emotionally crushed. I read fiction books for pleasure, and I want them to ultimately be pleasant.

I can appreciate a beautiful story, and I've read my share of sad, heartwrenching books. But I always have to make myself pick them up - these are never impulse-read books.

Maybe I'm just a superficial reader?  If so, I'm okay with it. I'll take happily superficial over miserably enlightened when it comes to my books any day.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm superficial. Although I love it when a book moves me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Although I could handle the odd emotionally crushing novel, I'd much rather there'd be some sort of redemption or hope for the characters in the books I read. Looking forward to the rest of your A-Z!

    ReplyDelete