Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Issue 4, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme from The Broke and the Bookish in which they post a book-related top ten every - you guessed it! - Tuesday.

This week the theme is Ten YA Books I Cannot Believe I Haven't Read (genre was my choice).

I've read a lot of YA over the last couple of years, but there's definitely a few staples that I've somehow missed.

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Fortunately I'm going to change this by reading it for my Cinderella-themed week next week! But yeah, it's a futuristic, steampunky, YA fairy-tale update and I don't know why I've never actually sat down to read it before. I certainly have wanted to, and I have a hard copy of the sequel that I picked up from a bargain bin.

2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner

I love, love, love the idea of this book. I don't own a copy though, and I really should grab one. Truly. Or visit my local library and borrow a copy (and pay my daughter's fines....)

3. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski 

I went through a phase of reading this type of book (and I have a few more on my shelves to get through), but for some reason I never picked up this very popular book.

4. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

YA fantasy featuring a female assassin? Yes please! I especially love that she's blonde and blue-eyed (at least on the cover). I have a copy of this. I need to make time to read it.

5. Anything by John Green

He's so popular. But all his books seem, to me, to be two parts depressing realities and only one part escapist entertainment. So I feel like he's an author whom I should read, rather than who I would like to read. Much like Schindler's List was a movie I felt I *should* watch, but didn't really *want* to.

6. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

I really liked Fangirl and it seems like a no-brainer to pick this one up. But I think I have it in my head that the ending is more complicated than a happily ever after and that seems to cause me to avoid picking up a copy....

7. Anything by Libba Bray

I have at least one book by this author, and she seems like an author I  might like.

8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Just seems like something I should have read.

9. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

I've read a book by Stiefvater, but it was ages ago, and I always look at this one and think, "Hmm.... Maybe?" I love urban fantasy, and I'm constantly surprised I didn't read this when I was binging on it a few years ago.

10. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This book really appeals to me, I *want* to read it, why I haven't I?

Curse not having unlimited amounts of time to read! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's lists this week!

6 comments:

  1. You need to read Cinder and Eleanor and Park!
    here's our TTT

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Green is worth your time. I really liked An Abundance of Katherines. I feel as if starting with the Fault In Our Stars might be setting the bar too high for other books to live up to. :)

    I've yet to read the Maze Runner, but it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so much in common. OKAY.

    - Cinder is incredible. I mean, completely predictable (you know what's going to happen pretty much at the start of the book), but it's well written and sets the tone perfectly for Scarlet, which was also really great.

    - I haven't read The Maze Runner yet either, but my boyfriend said it's entirely different from the movie.

    - The only book from John Green that I've read is The Fault in Our Stars. And while it was heartbreaking and beautiful, I'm honestly not sure how I feel about reading his other books. I'm iffy.

    - I put Fangirl on my list today because I NEED to read it. I haven't read anything by her but since Fangirl takes place in college, I feel like I'll be able to relate to it more than Eleanor & Park.

    - Libba Bray is wonderful. I'm in LOVE with her Gemma Doyle trilogy (A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet, Far Thing). Go read them now.

    - The Perk of Being a Wallflower is also on my list today.

    - Shiver was good. Absolutely adore her prose. But I wasn't a fan of her other books in the series.

    - And after seeing Tahereh Mafi at a book reading, I really want to read Shatter Me now. It sounds really good.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read a couple of these books too LOL!! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday if you wanna check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read so many of these books too! :P You gotta read Throne of Glass, it take awhile to get into it but its soooo worth it! :)

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday here!

    ReplyDelete